• Fohlen
  • Fohlen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • I'm a pony and all that shit..
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #1679 by Fohlen
A note on teamplay was created by Fohlen
Following is a draft paper I've been gathering for a longer time period now, covering some important things on teamplay aspects of flag-based games in sauerbraten.

Settings
Playing team-based games? You will need the following key-binds
  • /bind "KEY" [kill]
  • /bind "KEY" [dropflag]
Remember, the game is TEAM-based, which means, make use of these binds. Really. Frag-fapping is bullshit.

Jargon
As in any other game, a certain "net jargon" has established within sauerbraten, I will cover some of them here

When you want to tell about incoming enemies, use the following
  • l = left
  • r = right
  • t/top = top
  • bot = bottom

Further "chatters" refer (always) to the own flag-carrier and base, such as
  • low = need someone to take the flag
  • base = enemies incoming or, need help
  • cover = cover the flag carrier
  • inc = incoming, enemies incoming
  • 20, 30, 50 (..) = I only have 50 health-points, I am low, take the flag

Although these can all be bind in further detail the mentioned terms have developed specifically for use in the 5-second respawn delay, and can be combined and used excessively within that interval.
Take this as an example: left 2 or base 2 would mean, 2 enemies incoming from left.
If a jargon is repeated or reported twice (which is really not often the case), PAY ATTENTION.

Common team strategies
Many people have a very biased opinion on this, but in common you WILL find 2 kind of team strategies in sauerbraten, that work along nicely.
  • The "talent strategy" - everyone takes a fixed role within the team, such as runner, defender (...) and subsequently tries to keep this alive.
  • Covering strategy: the team is more dynamic, generally 2 people attack, cover and return, meanwhile 1 watches the mid range and base

I will only review the "covering strategy" in detail, since it's generally suited. In contrast the talent strategy is for VERY experienced long-term teams, and (I'd say) almost unbeatable, when done right.

"The covering strategy"
The central idea of the covering strategy is, obviously, to cover.
When moving, we have 2 different "frontiers", loosely bound up, following this schema
  • The 1st frontier (2 people) will try to get the flag - the 2nd frontier covers base and mid-range
  • Once flag is obtained by the 1st frontier, the runner is protected by it's mate (stay close!).
  • If a mate dies, it will be replaced by the 2nd frontier. The respawning mate takes the job of the 2nd frontier.
  • This strategy is adopted to push/pull (attacking or defending), and you usually have 2 frontiers, which operate in multiple "waves" (after respawn)
  • If needed, the entire team pushs or pulls together (e.g: enemy is too strong)
Most importantly, always keep the priorities on track
  1. Cover your own flag carrier. NO MATTER WHAT. Make sure he's safe.
  2. If necessary, invert the frontiers, so 2 people are in base. Make sure of rule #1
It might sometimes appear that both teams are equally strong and use this strategy, which results in a stagnation of the game. In that case one team will have to push closed-up, with the flag carrier - no risk, no fun.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Fohlen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #1680 by Alkfly
Replied by Alkfly on topic A note on teamplay
Id like to add something for people who might not know.

In EVERY situation, always return your flag first!!!

So when you see your fellow teammate who is carying enemy flag die, coused by enemy who is carying your flag, ALWAYS return blue flag first!
Do not think Ohhhh i can take both.
Only if youre certain every enemy is dead or aomewhere else you can do it!

Thanks Hamon for your fine english and The great efford for your laat post here!

Alkfly.

More
4 years 3 months ago #1685 by Ren4rd
Replied by Ren4rd on topic A note on teamplay
Thank you a lot for this topic, I understand now all things I've got missed during many games.

The question i'm going to ask you is maybe stupid :silly: , but I like when a strategy is clear : why can't we attack at 3 (if the number of player is supposed to be 3), as close as possible (or not, the impact of nades and rockets could damage all the crew) ? Obviously, we will have no defense, but if, on our base of 3 players, there is just one defending, how does he have a chance to survive ? :huh:

• Fohlen
  • Fohlen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • I'm a pony and all that shit..
More
4 years 3 months ago #1686 by Fohlen
Replied by Fohlen on topic A note on teamplay

Ren4rd wrote: Thank you a lot for this topic, I understand now all things I've got missed during many games.

The question i'm going to ask you is maybe stupid :silly: , but I like when a strategy is clear : why can't we attack at 3 (if the number of player is supposed to be 3), as close as possible (or not, the impact of nades and rockets could damage all the crew) ? Obviously, we will have no defense, but if, on our base of 3 players, there is just one defending, how does he have a chance to survive ? :huh:

It is possible and has been played by (mostly) !s] in the past SSL games. You said it yourself, the biggest disadvantage is an unprotected base.
Usually, when one mate is at base (and attacked by multiple enemies) it results in one of the following situations
  • The 1st frontier stays calm with the flag until the base is cleared
  • When someone dies in the enemy base (quiet often) he respawns very soon, so there's about always someone in your base
Which is why this works for most cases.
It is to be mentioned that this is for very dynamic games and only a general strategy, you will adjust the groups very often and in very short time during the game.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds